Automobiles of ArtThat 1992 Roadmaster Buick
Today: Just lately I saw a curious trivia question, "Can you identify this small pocket?"
I thought, WHAT a silly question? Everyone knows that is a watch pocket, gimme a break. Things become tough when you realize you are older than your dad ever was. My dad always carried a pocket watch. At times he would place it on the pulpit when he started to preach only on special occasions did he go past 30 minutes. I have heard daddy say many times about the length of a sermon, "A mind can only retain as much as the seat can take." Before he died he gave his gold ‘railroad’ watch to a nephew who treasured that watch. Nephew's house was burglarized and he lost the watch. It was solid gold, but the fact it was his grandpa’s hurt worse than losing the value. As a child I was fascinated to see dad pull his watch out, press the winding knob and the front pop open for a second and then he snapped it shut and it slid back into his pocket. It was all one smooth move.
Most folks today have never heard, "What does your Waterbury say?" There was a time in my youth and before that was the same as saying, "What time do you have?" The less expensive watches were made by Waterbury of Connecticut. Now widely known for the Timex.Growing up I had several 'Waterbury' ‘dollar’ watches. Cheap pocket watches (but good). I guess the pocket-watch pocket went the way of ‘hunkeydory’, ‘made in the shade’ or ‘hung out to dry.’ Many things, fads or words are gone and forgotten. Maybe ‘Cool’ was so big it is still used and understood. That's cool. Golly gee, is there a saying or some ‘object’ you miss, or just remember? The above game started with 'oneses', remember? Shirley was good at it and taught me the game.
Nite Shipslog
0 Comments