Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Neutral Ground

OU got the big chomp last night. Toby cheered for the Gators (he had similar feelings to those expressed by Buck) while I was pulling for OU. It was a good game - I did get that part right. Someone made an interesting point: There is an advantage to playing on your home field, so the teams of the Big 12 normally rotate their schedule to play each year at different fields. But OU vs. UT is played in Dallas on neutral ground. Is that fair to the other teams like TT who had to play in Norman this year? What if UT had played OU in Norman? Maybe UT would have beaten TT if they had been playing in Austin. What if...


I wanted to apologize if I offended any UT fans yesterday – that was not my intention. Although, I do admit to wanting to tweak you a bit (especially John). I know that fans everywhere can be obnoxious. Living in OK, I don’t have to deal with Gator fans on a regular basis, but OU fans can be nauseating. As for T-sippers, well, it has just been bred into me to dislike UT. You would understand if you had spent your life going to A&M games and family reunions at the same time. If you think I am bad, you should hear my uncles and cousins. We once had an incident at one of those games that prove all teams have their problem fans.

Back in the day when my big brother and I were both attending Texas Tech, our parents and young siblings drove out to Lubbock to the A&M vs. TT game. Some of my other relatives where there too, but we all had tickets to sit in different places around the stadium. Dad gave us instructions to meet back in front of the stadium after the game at a specific place. That year A&M beat TT. As I walked up to the meeting place after the game I saw my little brother perched on a railing grinning at me wearing his A&M cap. About the time I arrived, some female TT student walked by and slapped Pete’s hat off nearly knocking him off of his perch. I don’t remember what she said to him. I don’t remember what I said. I just remember being incensed that someone would do that to a little kid, and I made her pick up the hat and hand it back to him. Pete remembers it quite well. I won’t repeat what he remembers me saying, but the girl did pick up the hat and hand it to Pete with an apology. Isn’t that what big sisters are for?

Post a Comment

0 Comments